Receding Gums Symptoms And Causes In Salt Lake City
Gum recession is when your teeth look like they are getting longer. What is actually happening is your gums are receding, meaning they are moving farther up your tooth. Gum recession, also called root recession is actually quite a serious issue that can cause problems such as loose teeth or your teeth falling out. Having missing teeth brings on a whole new set of problems.
Causes of Gum Recession
- Periodontal diseases | This is a major cause of gum recession. Bacteria that causes gum infections destroy gum tissue and the bones that support your teeth. Receding gums can result.
- Genes | Like so many other things we gain from our parents’ gene pool, it may be that you are genetically more susceptible to gum disease and gum receding issues. Three out of ten people have a genetic predisposition to gum disease that can lead to root recession, no matter how diligent they are in proper dental care.
- Overly energetic tooth brushing | You may have been taught that you need to brush your teeth hard to get them clean. However, hard brushing is often damaging to your teeth because it can cause the enamel to wear down and could result in receding gums.
- Inadequate dental care | If you are not brushing and flossing properly or regularly, the plaque on your teeth can turn to tartar, which can only be removed with a professional dental cleaning. This buildup can cause root recession.
- Hormonal changes | Female hormone levels can actually cause receding gums.
- Tobacco products | For many reasons, tobacco use causes problems. One is tobacco users often have sticky plaque on their teeth that is difficult to remove. This can cause receding gums.
- Grinding and clenching your teeth | Grinding or clenching your teeth can put too much stress on your teeth and a result can be root recession.
- Crooked teeth or a misaligned bite | It may surprise you that there is more than wanting a beautiful smile if your teeth are crooked. It may been that your crooked teeth are causing too much stress to the teeth and root recession could result.
- Lip or tongue piercing | Lip and tongue piercing can cause a number of dental problems, among them gum recession. The jewelry can rub and irritate the gums to the point where receding gums occurs.
For more information about receding gums and root recession and the gum rejuvenation technique, call Dr. Theurer today in Sugar House! We are here to help you have the healthiest, most beautiful smile possible if you are in the Salt Lake City area, including Millcreek UT!